Bash Alias - Quick List All Hosts in .ssh/config

For years I’ve kept a list of all the server aliases I’ve saved in my ssh config file and defined an alias called “servers” that would cat out that file and run it through sort to get an alphbetized list of all the names when I need to reference them quickly. Recently I switched to a Macbook at work and was going to recreate this but realized it was unnecessarily redundant.
Read more →

iPod Classic Restoration

Comment from 2024 added at the end of post It sure has been a while since my last post. Life really picked up since 2019 but I am trying to get back to this blog. Here’s a short piece on a recent successful project that’s had a big impact on my day-to-day. For a while now I have been on the hunt for a dedicated mp3 player that was not android based, had good battery life, and had a good UI.
Read more → - A Bash Script for IP to Hexadecimal Conversion

As noted in my previous post, I’ve been working on a small script to make the conversion of dotted decimal IP addresses into their hexadecimal values much simpler and automated. Below is the result of that work and the companion lookup table file that makes this conversion work. The script is written to request and to output information for use with Mikrotik’s RouterOS DHCP Server. When invoked, the script confirms that the lookup table is in the correct location; proceeding if found and exiting with directions if the lookup file is not found.
Read more →

Static Route Advertisements with Mikrotik RouterOS

Recently, I needed to push a static route out to all DHCP clients on a network. With my memory full of Cisco ios commands, I figured this would be a piece of cake to implement before going on about my day. Well, come to find, things aren’t as straight forward on a Mikrotik Hex router (which I shouldn’t say was a huge surprise). Options like this are set using the hexadecimal values rather than the dot-decimal octets you’re likely familiar with.
Read more →

Reset Supermicro IPMI User Password

While making a few changes to my lab network, I revised one of my IPMI user passwords and inadvertently locked myself out of that account. While the management interface was happy to accept the new password without error, it was beyond the 19 character limit and all attempts to login with the new, correct password were denied. To solve this issue, I turned to a utility from Supermicro called IPMICFG which is available from the Supermicro ftp site and supports BMCs which support the IPMI v2.
Read more →